Tuesday, July 01, 2008

An anniversary and a contest

Two years ago I began my residency. It seems like no time has passed at all. I can remember it so clearly - walking into the hospital that first day and feeling completely overwhelmed. Making it through the first few days in the NICU felt like such an accomplishment, and I am so grateful to the residents and nurses who got me through it. I remember giving my first narcotic order for a newborn in a ventilator, being so worried that I did my math wrong, standing at the bedside waiting for the nurse to give it. She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Don't worry, he'll be fine." Even giving Tylenol scared me! And now I'm halfway done. Just two more years to go... truly a frightening thought. So in honor of the day, a little contest. Just leave a comment before 6pm on Friday, July 4, and you could win some yarn from my stash (which has gotten completely out of control).

Last night we had a party to welcome the new interns, and I made a batch of oatmeal chocolate cookies. They were so good! I love the texture of oatmeal cookies - the whole oats, the crispiness - but I also love chocolate. So these were perfect.



1 3/4 cups old-fashioned oats (not quick cooking or instant)
1 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 ounces milk chocolate, melted and cooled
6 ounces (about 1 cup) bittersweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. In a food processor or blender, grind 1 cup of oats until fine. Transfer the ground oats to a large mixing bowl; add the
flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
3. Put the butter and brown sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat together using medium-high speed until thoroughly combined, about 2 minutes.
4. Add the egg and vanilla extract. Beat together using medium-high speed until fluffy, about 30 seconds. Reduce speed
to low and add the melted, but cooled, milk chocolate.
5. Using low speed, stir in the flour/oat mixture just until combined. Stir in the remaining 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats and the bittersweet chocolate chips.
6. Spoon 2 tablespoon portions of dough onto parchment lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
7. Bake for 14-16 minutes, until tops of cookies are cracked but remain moist between the cracks.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

5 Comments:

At 4:28 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Breaking in the new interns these past few days has really all brought it rushing back! Now just one more year for me . . .

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting halfway done!! The cookies look wonderful....may have to try them :)

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Happy Hump Day!

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Congratulations on starting your third year. Today is the beginning of his third year residency too. Two more years.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger ikkinlala said...

Congratulations on two years!

Also, those cookies look amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home