Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I have a small knitting purchase to report. I finally bought the current issue of Interweave Knits. I've been eyeing it since it came out, mostly for the lace article, and broke down today. So I got it home and read it cover to cover. Great issue. The lace article is wonderful and will be my right hand for the remainder of the Amazing Lace. And the patterns are great. I would like to make most of them. I'm eyeing the Marseilles pullover - a nice cable sweater. I really want to try my first sweater and have been checking out patterns for months to find a good one. But I keep chickening out. I mean, I've been knitting for less than a year and am definitely not very skilled. So I read patterns and price yarn but then go back to a sock. A sweater is such a big commitment...so many stitches, so much yarn, all those seams. But I really like this sweater. I must get up the courage to try it. Ignore the fact that I've never cabled. I can knit a sweater...I will knit a sweater!

4 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Yes, you can knit a sweater! It's not as hard as you might think. You could always start small with a baby sweater, or knit an adult-sized one with very little seaming (like one done in the round). Then you can work your way up. I still haven't done a sweater with real sleeve caps yet.

Cables are also easier than you'd think.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger --Deb said...

Of course you can! Knitting a sweater (most sweaters, anyway) isn't a hard thing--it's just a bigger project than a scarf or socks or whatever. But it's just the difference in scale, not difficulty. And, believe me, if you can do lace, you can do a sweater!

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Francesca said...

You can totally do it. You WILL knit a sweater. A beautiful sweater.

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think about how many stitches you are knitting in a pair of socks! You can definitely do a sweater - and cables are really easy. I was afraid of them for ages and then once I was taught how to do them I wanted to slap myself for avoiding them for so long! Easy Peasy. Go for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home