Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. I've been busy packing. In fact almost all of my belongings are now boxed and in a trailer waited for departure on Friday. I have two days worth of clothes, my computer, and my iPod to keep me company in my sad, empty rooms. And my sock. I haven't done much knitting over the past few days because of the business. I did get some more of Charlotte done a couple of days ago. I did the second color repeats but can't go any further because the rest of the yarn is in a box. I had planned on sharing pictures of my packing progress, Charlotte, the sock, the laptop case, but my camera is on a box too. I got a little overzealous with the packing on Monday and everything is gone. I also wanted to show you the cute card I got from Katie today. Where did you get it? Ah well, I'll take pictures of everything once I get moved. Of course I won't have internet in my apartment right away, so I'll have to hang out at coffee shops with free wireless for a while. Internet withdrawal could kill me.

I've been listening to old episodes of Cast On while packing and found an episode that I really related to. It's episode 6 - Pulling a Geographic. For any of you who don't listen to Cast On (you really should because it's great) Brenda Dayne is an American living in Whales. First off, I'm totally jealous because I would love to go there. But I could really relate to her essay in this episode. She talked about moving to shake up your perspective and change the way you're living. I really need to do that. I've lived in South Carolina my whole life. I went to college here and medical school here. I was born in Greenville and though I've lived in other cities for school, I wound up back here. I like this city and thought about staying here for my residency. It would have been the easy thing to do - I know the hospital, I like the people there, I have a place to live, I wouldn't have to move. But I need to shake things up. I'm too settled into a life that I don't even really like. I need to meet new people and try new things. Change my perspective and my attitude. So when the time came to make my match list for residency, I looked far. I listed Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and waited to see what would happen. I still get really nervous about the move. I'm leaving behind my family and they will be too far away to visit often. I'll be starting a new job with a whole new set of people. But I can really start over and make my life into whatever I want. So I push the nervousness aside. "Sometimes the best way to get a new perspective on life is just to stand on your head, and nevermind if a few coins spill out of your pocket." Brenda Dayne, Cast On.

3 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am totally impressed that you are all packed up! Congratulations on that accomplishment! I'd still be tossing junk into boxes for sure. Good luck with your move!

 
At 6:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, Gina! It's a brave thing that you're doing, and whether you love it or hate it, it's still an accomplishment that you will be able to look back on with pride.

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Congratulations on finishing up the packing! It's tough to start over. I've done it many times, because my dad worked for IBM for 26 years (and they joke that IBM stands for "I've Been Moved"). Even moved to a brand-new state a year after getting married, but we pretty much high-tailed it back to SC, because we love it here and it's home. You'll do great--just keep that adventurous spirit!

(I got one set of knitting notecards from another blogger as a gift, and one set from my favorite neighbor as a gift. I think my neighbor said she found hers at Michaels.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home