Tuesday, May 23, 2006

What I'm afraid of

This is a great list from Jen, a new nurse in an ICU. I have to admit that I have the same fears. Some of mine:

The ACLS, PALS, and NALS part of orientation when I inevitably do something to look like an idiot in front of the other interns.

The first time I say or do something wrong and get dressed down by an attending. I am way too sensitive but my mantra will be "Do not cry."

My first NICU patient. That's my first rotation and I'm petrified. Those babies are so little and often so sick. Not a place to be a stupid new doctor.

My first code. The first time I do the intubation. The first time I call for the meds. The first time I'm the first doc in the room. The first time a code results in a patient's death. The first time I have to tell that to a family.

My first night on call. When the pager goes off at 3 am and I'm expected to have an answer for whatever question is posed. When a patient is crashing and I have to handle it.

My first night on phone call. When a new mom calls because her baby has a fever or is throwing up. Having to decide if it can wait till the morning or requires an ED visit.

The first time a medical student asks me a question. I am so not ready to teach them.

Grand Rounds and Pediatric Grand Rounds are up.

1 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Yeah, that all sounds super scary to me. Those are some of the reasons I am thankful that other people want to be doctors, because I couldn't do it! Same thing for military personnel and firefighters and police officers. God bless all of them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home