Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Wow, almost a month since I last posted. Sometimes I just don't know where the time goes. Thanks to everyone for your comments to my last post. I really appreciate your kind thoughts. Things have improved over the past month. Hanging out on the Pediatric Ward taking care of RSV and gastroenteritis. Getting a few diseases myself - kids are walking piles of germs - but getting through it ok.

Been getting some knitting done, but nothing substantial and worth posting. Working on some socks and scarves. And teaching a friend to knit (how crazy! me teaching someone to knit when I'm a newbie myself!) which has been fun. She's making a baby blanket and we had a fun trip to Webs to buy yarn. When we walked in and I got that crazed look in my eye she couldn't help but laugh. "Maybe this was a bad idea. Kinda like taking a crack addict to her favorite corner." I didn't realize I was that bad. But then I but then I bought 4 skeins of Lorna's Laces, so maybe I do have a problem.

So no FOs to post, but thanks to Gina I do have something to post. My list of UFOs I plan to finish this year.
1. The two pairs of socks that stalled after sock #1 was knit.
2. My mom's lace scarf (so she can get it next Christmas)
3. My dad's socks (ditto on the Christmas thing)
4. Charlotte's Web (This may not happen, have to be realistic. This project and I do not get along.)

And the nonknitting things that I need to finish...
1. Assembling the elliptical trainer that I bought (totally not my fault as the instructions are really complicated)
2. Unpacking the 7 boxes of books that are stacked in my room
3. Organizing the piles of journal articles that are scattered all over my apartment
4. Finishing the half read books that I've gotten a little bored with and set aside
5. Listening to the dozens of podcasts that are taking up space on my iPod

Check out Gina's blog and send her your UFO list to be entered in her contest. And check out Christine's blog for her Podcastiversary contest. Leave her a comment to be entered, post about socks and get entered some more. So now for my thoughts on socks...

I love knitting socks. They are so much fun and people think you're a super knitter when they see you working on them. The variety is never ending - all the different yarns, different stitch patterns, toe-up or top-down, DPNs or circs. So many options! I haven't tried circs yet because I love the DPNs, but someday. Current favorite yarn is Lorna's Laces. I've bought a good supply of it but just started my first pair with it. I love it! The colors are great and it's so soft and squishy. Loving the way it knits up. Hopefully I have some good progress to share soon. My thoughts on Socks that Rock will come along soon since I joined the club. So that's what I love about socks, what do I hate? Joining the first round - I have serious problems and get all twisted frequently requiring a do-over. And ladders... boy do I hate the ladders. For some reason they always show up in the foot but not the leg. What's up with that?! Any suggestions for making these things easier?

OK, enough rambling and contest entering. Enter for yourself and maybe win a prize!

4 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Blogger Gina House said...

Hey, G, so glad you posted! Your list of UFOs to finish is very modest...but it's always better to have less than more, right? Then, you can always DO more!

As for the ladder problem. I used to find the same thing when I was using dpns. Now, with a few exceptions, I use the 2 circ method and NEVER get any ladders. Never. Lots of my buddies use the Magic Loop method. In our group, it's either dpn or Magic Loop. I may be the only one who does 2 circ. Either way, once you learn, it is AWESOME and you can use the same method for doing hats, socks and mittens, too.

Hope you keep that immune system up with all those germies around!

G : )

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to see you are ok. Charlotte's web hates me too. I think I am dumb when I try to knit it.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

And you've just summed up all the reasons I love sock knitting! I'm just finishing up ER this month - lots of sick kids there! Looking forward to getting back to medicine wards to seeing all my sick non-infectious adults.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I'm with Gina--I like to use 2 circs and I never have ladders, either. And I join for knitting in the round by casting on an extra stitch, then slipping it over the first stitch. It makes a nice tidy join.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home