Thursday, November 16, 2006

Christmas knitting - Take 1

Last Christmas I was a newbie knitter - reading Stitch 'n Bitch and trying to figure out how to purl (ribbing was a tough lesson for me). So this is my first Christmas doing the knitted gift thing. As such, I'm keeping my expectations pretty low. A scarf for Mom and socks for Dad. The socks may turn into a birthday present to give me a couple more weeks since I've barely started sock one and my dad wears a size 12. This could end very badly - frantically knitting on the plane ride home to get them done. But I've made a good start on mom's scarf. I'm doing a simple lace pattern. Simple is essential when it comes to me and lace as I learned in that whole Amazing Lace debacle. (Anyone remember Charlotte? Me neither.) But simple can be good when done in a yummy cashmerino yarn. Isn't it pretty? And check out the needles. What to do when you stupidly snap and #3 bamboo needle in half? Replace it with these gorgeous rosewood needles. These are the nicest needles I've ever worked with - warm in my hands, smooth but not too slippy with the yarn, and great tips for lace. I see more of these in my future for sure.


I don't think the picture does it justice, but it's the least blurry and least yellow I could come up with. It's really hard to get decent photos without natural light, and the sun isn't around much lately. Honestly, if someone had told me that there's no sun in Massachusetts, I might not have been so eager to move.

So that's what I've been up to. I want to finish the scarf in the next week or two and then devote my time to the socks. Picture to come when I've actually made progress. Also to come, info on my one year knitversary drawing.

5 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty.

Good to see you back in action!

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your scarf looks so nice! Your mom will love it!

A shop owner once told me about rosewood needles, but I didn't believe her when she told me how nice they were. I guess I should have! :)

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger --Deb said...

It looks beautiful!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Yummy looking!

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

What is that lace pattern? Pretty and simple sounds good to me.
Li

 

Post a Comment

<< Home