Saturday, December 02, 2006

Ack! It's December!

Like so many others, December really snuck up on me. I can't believe the year is almost over. My internship is almost half over... in seven months I'll be expected to teach and supervise interns and medical students. There's no way I'll be ready for that since I can still barely take care of myself on the wards. And in just one month I won't have to have an attending see all of my patients in clinic. For the first six months of residency I have to precept all my clinic patients with an attending - tell them why the patient came in, what I think is wrong, and what I plan to do about it. Then they tell me what's right and wrong about my plan and go see the patient briefly with me. Starting in January I don't have to do that anymore. So if I feel comfortable with a patient, I can just make a plan and send him home. I'm still coming to terms with patients actually thinking of me as their doctor; not having immediate backup scares me.

The other scary thing about December it that I have less than a month to finish my Christmas knitting. This is a disaster of epic proportions. My mother's scarf is only half done. I'm knitting it in two pieces and will graft it together; that way the pretty curly edges will match. My major concern is length... I did 45 pattern repeats and got a piece 25 inches long. This is half of my yarn so I stopped, but I'm worried about the final length. My mom is little - only 5 ft tall - so I don't need a giant scarf, but 50 inches is definitely not long enough. Being lace I'm sure this will grow with blocking, but I've never knitted lace before so I have no idea how much. Any experienced knitters out there who can make some predictions?


Then there are my father's socks. "But Gina," you say, "that's not a sock. That's just a skein of yarn with no actual knitting." Yeah, I know. I started, got through the ribbing, and frogged. Now I have nothing. Two socks, 12 inch long feet, 23 days... yeah, that'll happen.


To make the Christmas knitting frenzy worse, I have to put it on hold. I have knitting for two swap to finish. My Handmade Christmas Gift Swap project isn't done yet. My partner generously gave me an extension, but I really need to finish it this weekend. And then there's the International Scarf Exchange. I mailed my scarf over a month ago but it hasn't arrived. And while it was going cross country there's no way it should take this long. I think I can safely say that the USPS has lost my ISE package, so now I'm frantically knitting a replacement. Of course me being me means I've already screwed up a couple times and started over once, so this is all I've got. This must also be done very soon, like this week soon, so my poor pal doesn't get stuck without a new winter scarf.


To add more trouble, I start my CCU (cardiac ICU) rotation tomorrow. That means 12 hour days, q 4 overnight call, no weekends. In fact, I only have 1 day off between now and my Christmas vacation, and I board a plane for home immediately after signing out post-call on my last day. This could seriously be a disaster. I think it's time to buy back-up gifts.

On a lighter note, it's my one year knit anniversary. One year ago I was driving up and down the east coast on interviews with a skein of Red Heart, some aluminum needles, and a copy of Stitch and Bitch teaching myself how to knit in hotel rooms. And here I am a year later completely obsessed with knitting and with a growing stash of yarn. So in honor of the occasion, a little contest. It's the "guess how much yarn I've accumulated in the past year" contest. I haven't actually counted it all up yet so I can't give a good clue, but it's outgrown the wicker laundry basket it was originally housed in. I blame the close proximity of Webs for my stash; I have no self control. Leave a comment with your guess and I'll post the winner next weekend. You have till December 8. The winner will receive an as yet to be determined selection of yarn from my stash.

I leave you with today's Saturday sky.

15 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger knit_tgz said...

I believe you enhanced your stash by 72 skeins and balls. (I enhanced by even more, not counting spinning fibre!)

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

You must've increased by at least 99 hanks in order to overflow the laundry basket.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Kaitie Tee said...

I'm going to guess more conservatively with 56 skeins. Congrats on your knit-iversary!

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to take a wild guess, since I am remembering a lot of details as you mention them. You are in Internal Medicine resident at Baystate Medical Center - am I right? I recognize rotations, and locations in your blog. I did my first residency in OB-Gyn under Dr. Lundy at Baystate.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Hey, you can get your knitting done. Believe it and it'll happen, right? I'm so glad you get to come home for Christmas. I know you've been homesick.

I have no clue about the yarn. You say you have no self control, but still...okay, guess I'll say you have 82 balls/skeins/hanks of yarn. I've never counted mine personally, so I don't even know what is "normal".

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to guess 44 balls/skeins. Just a wild guess; I am afraid to count mine :)

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry things are so stressful for you! If it makes you feel any better, things are sneaking up on me, too. I love the color of your new ISE scarf.

My guess for your contest is 63 balls/skeins. I don't really think you've accumulated that much, but a wicker laundry basket is pretty big. :)

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Whew, I'm tired from just reading what all you have on your plate to complete between now and Christmas. My guess is 54.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Whitney said...

I am going to guess that you have increased your stash by ..... 88 skeins. I am so bad at guessing things like this. Have a good December!! (It crept up on me too!!)

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Heide said...

My guess is 137... afterall, you DO live near Webs.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Gina House said...

Congratulations on your knittiversary! My guess is that you've accumulated about 87 new skeins of yarn. Your scarves are looking fantastic, by the way!

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

I'm guessing 300 skeins.

I'm on CCU now, with Q3 call, and the schedule is just about killing me. But the work isn't too bad. There are algorithms :)

Have fun!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I decided to do a scarf as a christmas present too and now I am wondering what I was thinking!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger ikkinlala said...

I'm guessing 108 skeins.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

I love that blue scarf! What pattern is that? Good luck getting all that knitting done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home