Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy 2007

Hope everyone had more fun for New Year's Eve than I did. I was on call... again. What a night. Things were pretty calm in the afternoon and then blew up just after midnight. Apparently too much alcohol and crack causes chest pain; shocking, I know. But it was my last night in the CCU for at least a year, so that's good news. The rotation itself was good; I learned a ton and it will definitely help out when I go back to the general Medicine wards. Feeling comfortable handling chest pain and reading EKGs will be nice. But the hours are long and the call is crazy. Definitely time for a change. So it's off to the Pediatric wards where I'll get to take care of asthma and diarrhea... yay! I'm preparing to get sick; always do when I switch to Pedi.

To ring in the new year, the obligatory resolutions. I never keep them, but I like to try. Perhaps by writing them down I'll be more committed.

1. Get off my lazy butt and exercise. Must lose weight. Since there's no way I will go to a gym, I saved up and bought an elliptical. Now I just have to assemble the thing and use it. Will exercise at least three times a week. You are all my witnesses; I will hold myself to this.

2. Spend 10-15 minutes a day reading something medical. I few pages of Nelson's, an article in NEJM. Something so I stop feeling so completely incompetent.

3. Keep my apartment from resembling a disaster area. I don't know how I manage to make such a mess when I'm at work 80 hours a week and sleeping much of the rest of the time, but I do. Will not throw clothes on the floor, will not let dirty dishes take over the kitchen, will not let multiple cartons of milk get old and scary in the fridge.

4. Make time for myself to do the things that I like but don't do enough. Go out to dinner/movies/drinks with friends, read novels, knit. All the things I did so much of before the hospital took over my life. Not making time for the fun stuff makes the crappy schedule so much worse. I'm getting pretty bitter and cynical, and I don't like it. Gotta recharge.

There they are. Not a long list, but a substantial one. We'll see how I do.

4 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should concentrate the most on #4. It seems pretty important!

Happy 2007!

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You can totally do it! The trainer at our gym said that it is totally doable but it will be hard work.

I can't wait to crack into my new loot but I still have a ton of WIPs to work on.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Admirable resolutions. As for how I get reading in, this is what I do. I take my NEJM and rip off all the front and back ads to it's 1/3 the size. Then I fold it in half and stick it in my pocket next to my list. I pull it out while waiting - in the coffee or cafeteria line, waiting for a return page, waiting to sign out, etc. - within the week, I get through the whole journal. (Skimming most of the new trials and reading in depth the clinical practice, reviews, case records, etc.) Works great.

Have fun on Peds. I'm actually looking forward to ER after 4 crazy inpatient months.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Gina House said...

Your number 1 and 4 are also on my list. Number 1 is my least favorite. Number 4...that's an actual necessity! Happy New Year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home