Monday, August 21, 2006

With the lost DPN found I've been working on my sock. It's been a reminder about how much I hate gusset decreases. It's really pretty crazy how much I hate them. It's where I get all tangled up in the extra needles, where I get a ladder forming right in the middle of the foot, where I'm concentrating so hard on not making that stupid ladder that I poke myself with the extra needles. It's amazing how much a size 1 DPN hurts when it jabs into your thumb over and over and over. And now that I'm through them and onto the foot, I'm staring at the sock and not liking it. I did a heel flap, as usual, and I wish I had done a short row heel. I've never done one, but I think it would look so much better in this anklet. The heel flap just looks big and wrong. But I really don't want to frog the whole heel. So I think I'll just live with the heel flap and remember this for future anklets.

Now that I've ranted about my sock, it's your turn! What is your least favorite part of sock knitting?

8 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mind the gusset decreases - my least favorite part is the very beginning. If I'm doing an inch or 2 of ribbing, I feel like it takes forever! Plus, it's more difficult to work with all the needles when there aren't many rows on them yet. All in all, though, I really love making socks. I haven't tried a short row heel yet, but would like to try. I also want to try the toe up sock.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Pixiepurls said...

hrmm... I don't really like the toe, no matter how it's knit.

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like doing heel flaps--hence the reason I'm a short-row heel girl! And toe-up, too, so I don't have to Kitchener!

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Gina House said...

My least favorite part of sock knitting is the foot...thank goodness my foot isn't bigger...the leg isn't bad, since I like only a 4 or 5 inch cuff and the heel is exciting (the toe, too), but that darn foot! I feel very badly for women with size 9 or larger feet and for the women whose husbands have HUGE feet...well, maybe I feel less sorry for them, if you know what I mean : )

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right now I'd have to say the whole sock is my least favorite part. I can't seem to make myself finish my first pair and I haven't even reached the heel yet! Can I get back to you later on this? ;)

I'm using two circular needles, and that has worked well (so far). I'm wondering what trouble I'll have when I reach the danger zone.

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My least favorite part is making a whole freaking sock that doesn't fit me!

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

Oh, the heels for SURE. I hate flap heels and have so far failed miserably in my attempts to create a short-row heel.


Thanks for your kind note on my blog. I really appreciate it.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger The Knitphomaniac said...

My least favorite part is the first (or last) inch(es) of ribbing. Especially if it's 1x1 rib. I really don't like knitting 1x1 rib. :P

Right behind that is binding off on toe-up socks. :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home