Friday, June 16, 2006

Amazing Lace Challenge 2

Welcome back, Amazing Lacers! Team Gamecock Doc has made some progress since beginning the challenge. After several setbacks including some frogging and a big move we seem to have hit our stride. But now the real challenge will begin. How do I live life as both a knitter and a Med-Peds intern? Well, it's complicated and I guess a little extreme. It involves serious time management and multitasking as well as lots of caffeine. Every day begins with a large pot of coffee. Charlotte is kind enough to supervise the brewing.


As I rush around getting ready Charlotte patiently waits on the table. She always stays near my "ears" because she knows I never leave without them and she would hate to be forgotten.


Then comes the commute to the hospital. A twenty minute drive provides plenty of time to get some knitting done and some coffee drunk.


Once at work the team has a more difficult time getting together. But progress note writing and work rounds do have a little downtime. Just hide some lace in a pocket and a pattern on the clipboard.


Once rounds are over there is more free time while waiting for new admissions. This is prime knitting time. Notice how well Charlotte goes with scrub pant green.


Once at home the studying begins. Why did I choose a specialty that covers every age group and possible disease? Too many books to study from. But with strategic placement I can read them all, knitting all the while.


Whew, it's been a long day. But there is still work to be done - articles to read, labs to check, pages to answer. Poor Charlotte isn't used to this life, so she heads to bed early leaving me to study alone. I keep telling her that coffee is essential, but she's too worried about stains. Oh well... Night, Charlotte!

4 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger Wool Girl said...

Loved your post! That is x-treme lace knitting at its finest!

Jen

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post! It almost looks like an entertainment center in your car: beverage, knitting, music... :) It sounds like your first day went okay. That's good!

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger --Deb said...

That sure sounds Xtreme to me!! Good for both of you!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger eyeknit said...

Oh, how I wish I was a knitter during my med school and internship days! A sock-in-progress in the white coat pocket would have comforted me and given me some small happiness to look forward to in the rare off-moments. Now I'm an ophthalmologist, and the knitting does propel me through an ugly clinical day. I wish you the best of luck, and lots and lots of caffeine! Amy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home