Saturday, May 06, 2006

Another book meme

From Julie at Happy Catholic.

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open it to page 161.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the sentence along with these instructions.
5. Don’t search around and look for the coolest book you can find. Do what’s actually next to you.

Elizabeth had scarcely time to disclaim all right to the compliment, before their approach was announced by the door-bell, and shortly afterwards the three gentlemen entered the room.

So what book is it?

It's Pride & Prejudice of course! I love, love, love this book (as well as the BBC/A&E movie with the adorable Colin Firth) and read it every year. It is this month's book for Knit the Classics and I'm hoping to knit some lace worthy of Miss Elizabeth Bennet.

3 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My best guess would be Pride and Prejudice, but I don't remember there being a "door-bell" in it. Interesting meme!

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger The Sexy Knitter said...

Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen. And no, I didn't Google it. ; )

Had to post my contribution here.

Congrats on graduating med school! My husband and I went through that last year; he's now in his second year of surgical residency. : )

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely Pride & Prejudice. No question about it. I practically have the book memorized at this point. What a tremendous statement of your character and good taste that the nearest book to you was this gem.

I am currently sitting at my work desk and the nearest to me was "Woe is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English" by Patricia T. O'Conner. Technically the 5th sentence on p. 161 is "Whoa!" But the 5th full sentence was "The phrase as a den mother is attached to Mrs. Glossop's station wagon." Intriguing, no?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home