Tuesday, January 24, 2006

My new, all consuming hobby

I've started knitting. I learning to crochet in college from a girl on my hall and spent my four years making afgans from cheap acrylic yarn purchased at Wal-Mart (hey, it's the best I could do). But I always thought it would be cool to learn to knit. No one at school knew how and both my grandmothers had died years earlier, so I finally decided to teach myself. I came across a pretty cool sounding book at Barnes and Noble one day -- !).Stitch N Bitch -- have been happily stitching since.

By now I've made a scarf and some dishclothes to practice various stitches and then tackled a real project. I just completed a cute tote bag in deep, pine green with silvery gray accent stitching. If I actually buy a digital camera I'll post a pic of it. I'm so proud of myself! Something useful that I actually made myself. Now I'm working on a !).Harry Potter scarf in Gryffindor colors. I also have plans for a Ravenclaw scarf. I'll probably keep the Ravenclaw one and give away the Gryffyndor scarf, even though burgandy and gold are my college colors. I just think Ravenclaw would be my house, not brave enough for Gryffindor.

So this new hobby has also brought me to a whole new world of blogs. In reading them I kept hearing about the Knitting Olympics and I've decided to join in. I'm going to make a felted purse. The instructions say it a quick project but I'm still pretty slow, so it will probably be a challange to finish it in 2 weeks, esp leaving time to felt it (which I haven't done yet and I'm super excited!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home