Monday, July 17, 2006

So, yeah, I'm tired and cranky. This schedule does that to a person. If a doctor is ever short or rude to you, try to forgive him. Just think about 80 hour weeks, 30 hour days, 13 work days in a row... if that doesn't make you cranky you're a pod person. I'm right in the middle of 13 consecutive days without a day off... it sucks. I've had two nights of call in the past eight days of hell and both were rough. Like 31 week twins and a 24 week premie rough. Intubating babies in the middle of the night. Catching an hour of sleep only to be jerked awake at 4am by a phone ringing and a nurse asking how I want to change ventilator settings. Waking up like that makes me physically sick. I got up to turn on a light and almost fell over, my head was spinning, and I felt like I was going to puke. I think in the future I won't even try to nap; it's so not worth it since I feel so crappy when I get up. Then this afternoon I was leaning on the desk at the nurses station listening to my attending talk about a chest x-ray and almost fell asleep standing up. No good. If I can just make it to Sunday. I think I'll sleep through the whole day.

On a lighter note, I got a ton of mail today. Awesome knitting mail. First is my purchase from Katie.



A roll up needle case! I love it! And it matches my living room furniture so it feels right at home. Look how happy my needles are!



My other mail is from my Knit the Classics swap partner. A book about an American doctor in India (really looking forward to reading this), some yummy yarn, and chocolate. I think chocolate might actually be able to cheer me up today! The pic kinda stinks; the color is all wrong. The mohair is this great purple and the soy silk is a wonderful earthy mauve. Thanks, Knittergurl!



So after admiring my goodies and taking some Advil I sat down to a dinner of leftover Chinese food. Mandarin chicken is yummy. And for dessert, my favorite fruit smoothie.



When work is crappy use a pretty glass! I was at the grocery store the other day and they had South Carolina peaches! (The best peaches ever!) So I got a little homesick and bought a bunch. One of my favorite things to do with fresh peaches is make smoothies. My recipe:

1 South Carolina peach (forget about California ones)
1 handful of fresh raspberries
1 container vanilla yogurt
2-3 ice cubes

Crank up the blender and make it smooth. Pour into a pretty glass and enjoy!

This is also a great way to use peaches on the verge of being overripe. Slice them and put them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Stick the peaches in the freezer and transfer to a ziplock bag once frozen. These will keep for awhile in the freezer. Then use them to make smoothies and omit the ice. I always wind up with bags of peach slices in the freezer because I tend to go a bit overboard at the farmer's stand and buy way too many peaches. After 2 pies, a cobbler, and just eating them fresh I still have some left. ::sniff:: I miss home!

7 Comments:

At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wondered if feeling poorly was due to work or illness. Why do interns have to go through the horrible hours? How does the hospital expect people to think clearly when they are so tired?

I'm sorry you're missing home. Maybe you'll feel better after you get some sleep and have more time to see things in your new area. It's hard to move, but moving and being sleep-deprived would be much worse.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger --Deb said...

I can't even imagine that kind of pressure on top of lack of sleep. Good for you for doing something so hard, so necessary, and so appreciated. Because I appreciate the work you're doing!

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

You are going to make me cry. The worse feeling in the world is being homesick. Doc, get some rest and blog soon to let us know how you are doing!

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Gina! Internships are tough, but it sounds as though you are finding some good ways to release stress and relax a little (though knitting and SC peaches are no substitute for a good sleep).

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im sorry you have had a rough couple of weeks. I will never understand why they put the interns through that.

I am getting your package together and it should be coming in a few weeks.

Sleep well!

Secret Pal

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Whew. It will pass. This will be over and one day you'll be a wonderful doctor with normal hours.

I'm so glad you like the needlecase! I'd really value your feedback at etsy.

Sending some "free time so you can sleep" vibes your way!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Gina House said...

Wow! Lucky you with all those goodies! I love the idea of Knit the Classics...must check that out. The needle roll is so elegant and pretty, too. Your peach drink looks AMAZING!!! Must try to make one...although I'm sure I won't be able to use SC peaches...drool.... G : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home