Saturday, July 30, 2005

Stem Cell Research

Since I'm involved in health care I see the possibility offered by stem cell research, but as a Catholic I believe the practice of destroying embryos for this research is immoral. As such, I agree with the ban on federal funding for such research. It obviously still occurs, I just shouldn't have to pay for it.
Bill Kristol at the Weekly Standard weighs in on the latest debate, and says it all much more eloquently that I would.
For four years, embryo research advocates have claimed that the Bush administration has "banned stem cell research." Not so. The issue in question is federal funding for embryonic stem cell research--research in which new embryos will be destroyed. Such research has been, and is, legal, and while the president has endorsed a ban on human cloning, he has not proposed to outlaw the destruction of embryos created through in vitro fertilization (IVF). He simply does not want the federal government to fund or promote research that requires the ongoing destruction of embryos.


Read the whole thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home